01 October 2016

Exchange 2013 - 2016. Email in Draft: You don't have permission to perform this action

Today I faced with interesting behavior of Exchange 2016. After the initial configuration I tried to send the email and got the error "You don't have permission to perform this action".





The queue and SMTP log were empty.



After that I found Paul Cunningham comment "Check the DNS settings configured on the network interface of the Exchange server. It should only be configured to use your domain controller(s) for DNS, not any public DNS servers". And he was right - I used 8.8.8.8 as a second DNS server.

Conclusion - Exchange Server should use only internal DNS servers on the network interfaces.

6 comments:

  1. This was exactly my problem. I setup a lab environment with one DC and one Exchange 2013 server. On the Exchange 2013 server nic is set DNS to the DC AND 8.8.8.8. I removed 8.8.8.8 and I was then able to send emails. Thanks for the blog/article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happened to me too. All of a sudden cannot send mail from OWA. All mail stuck in Draft. Changed DNS to IP of DC fixed it. This is NUTS. I never had to do this on Exchange 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the man, it's really help.. what's was exactly my issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found my receive connector had been removed during a MS Patch. Remember, a server needs to be able to receive mail properly to be able to use the send connector. Here is a link to the article I used to rebuild all 5 receive connectors. After a rebuild and reboot, issue was solved.
    https://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0001314

    ReplyDelete
  5. On my case, i already configured DNS Lookup to DC IP Address but still not working. Then I discovered that the McAfee Anti-virus is the reason why the error is appearing. Disabling Antivirus make it work or disbaling the Access Protection and On-Delivery Email Scanner if you are using McAfee Anti-virus. This is another solution on people out there experiencing this problem.

    If you reading this message, nice to meet you...hehehe :)

    ReplyDelete